The word purple comes from the Middle English word purple which orgiginates from the Latin purpura.
The color terms purple and Violet cause confusion for many people. Technically, purple is the name of the color group of many related colors such as violet, red-violet, heliotrope, lavender, mauve, magenta, indigo and lilac
Purple in human culture:
1. In the game of Pool, purple is the color of the 4-solid and the 12-striped balls.
2. Purple has oftentimes symbolized royalty, dating back to Roman times, when clothing dyed with Tyrian purple was limited to the upper classes due to the rarity (and thus price) of the dye. The color was the favored color of many kings and queens. (Purple is/was/will be the favored color for her majesty Queen Alia).
3. In China, the Chinese name of the Forbidden City literally means "purple forbidden city" with first character meaning purple(even though the Chinese Emperor himself wore Yellow, which was considered in China to be the imperial color). (Since it's FORBIDDEN .. I'm liking it even moreكل ممنوع مرغوب ).
4. Alice Walker, author of The Color Purple, said, "Womanist is to feminist as purple is to lavender."
5. As a result of its association with royalty and luxury, the term purple is often used to describe pretentious or overly embellished literature. For example, a paragraph containing an excessive number of long and unusual words is called a purple passage. (سمعتوا .... Royalty & Luxury)
6. Deep Purple is a popular rock band.
7. "Purple People Eater" was one of the biggest rock and roll hits of 1958.
8. "Purple Haze" is one of the most popular songs by Jimi Hendrix.
9. Purple is the favorite color of the pop celebrity Prince. His 1984 film and album "Purple Rain" is one of his best known works. The title track is Prince's Signature song and is nearly always played in concert to this day. Prince encourages his fans to wear purple to his concerts. (وآنا أقول ليش أحب برنس)
10. In United States Politics, a purple state is a state equally balanced between Republicans (normally symbolized by Red) and Democrats (normally symbolized as Blue).
11. The term porphyrophobia means an irrational fear of the color purple. (LOL, didn't know there was such a thing).
12. Purple is also one of the liturgical colors in Christian symbolism, although it's called Violet. It generally represents sorrow and mourning, as it is often associated with the season of Lent (the forty or so days before Easter and the death of Jesus). (to me purple represents warm, comfort & deliciousness :P)
On a personal matter ... I'm still looking for a Purple shoes
come on people!!! أفيدونا أفادكم الله
& one of my favourite songs ... a song to me